Detail from the Sistine Chapel ceiling, "The Creation of Adam," by Michelangelo (ca. 1511-1512).
Orientation to the Old Testament 1
Orientation to the Old Testament 1 introduces learners to the text of Torah (Genesis-Deuteronomy). Focus is given to its historical, literary, and theological contribution to the biblical canon. A Christian reading is demonstrated.
Schedule for Fall, 2017 (adjusted 10/22/17)
Bible Facts to Know (Mastery of this list of names, places, events, and dates is expected of all graduates of Johnson University. A portion of this list will be tested by BIBL 1101. See exam study guides when posted.)
Outline of Sessions
The following outline presents the general shape of the semester's study. Consult the schedule above (under "Key Documents") to align this shape with your classroom experience. While the outline below is fixed, the schedule may be adjusted as the semester unrolls.
Two links appear under each session. The first ("Preview") offers thumbnail sketches, goals, assignments and resources that correspond with classroom presentations. The second ("Worksheet") represents a page to be printed, completed, and brought to the classroom on the day it is due. Again, consult the schedule for due dates.
A. Introductory matters
1. Course, Texts, and Perspectives
2. Discerning Divine Intentions
3. Scripture and Canon
4. Locating the Old Testament Story in Space
Handout: Heartland Map (Print blank and bring for in-class work)
Handout: OT World Map (Print blank and bring for in-class work)
5. Locating the Old Testament Story in Time
Worksheet for Session 5 (Complete and bring to class)
Handout: Who's Doing Time? (Print blank and bring for in-class work)
6. Torah of the Bible and of the Imagination
B. Genesis: Israel's backstory
7. The Creation Story as the Rèsumè of God
8. The Fall
9. Noah’s Flood: An Un-creation and Re-creation Story
10. The Deal with Abraham
11. Where Israel Comes From and how He (and They) got There
12. The Perfect Patriarch in a Pinch
C. Exodus & Leviticus: The Sinai Core encountered
13. In the Beginning . . . there was Moses
14. Why the Exodus Event is REALLY BIG!
15. The Covenant Code: Investigating the Sinai Core
16. The Priestly Code: Sacred God, Space, and People
17. The Priestly Code: Blood, Guts, and Smoke
18. The Holiness Code: Why Leviticus Matters
D. Numbers: The sinai core Challenged
19. The People of God on the March
20. The People of God Still Marching
E. Deuteronomy: Israel's frontstory
21. Deuteronomic Traditions and Theories
22. Let Me Say it Again . . .
23. So What's it Gonna Be? Blessings or Curses?
24. Torah in the Rear View Mirror