A newcomer to the churches of the Holy Land, this chapel is positioned on slopes that tumble down into the Sea of Galilee. The Church of the Beatitudes was built in 1938 in the area where it is believed that Jesus delivered his Sermon on the Mount (the traditional Eremos). The church has eight sides, reflecting the eight "beatitudes" that function as prologue to the sermon (Matthew 5-7). The structure is contemplative and airy and is one of many designs in the Holy Land produced by Antonio Barluzzi. It was financed in part by Benito Mussolini.
Bible Lands Explorer Jay Hess took this shot while visiting the site in January as a part of our 2018 Fam Trip for pastors and professors.